Thursday, February 6, 2014

Guide and Cookbook for Being a Healthy Vegetarian Post 16

This week I made a caprese sandwich and smashed redskin potatoes. The sandwich had roasted tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, and a balsamic glaze on a focaccia roll. It was very good and very light. The smashed potatoes went great with it, although not the healthiest choice. My parents also though it was really good, and my dad didn't even have meat as a desert! I thought that was quite the accomplishment, seeing as he does not believe it is a meal without meat. 
So far this project has been rather successful, I've realized I like a lot more foods than I even knew. I have always been a very picky eater and this has broadened my tastes. Being a healthy vegetarian is a lot harder than someone might think, protein is only in so many things other than meat. I don't like eggs or tofu, so that makes it even harder. After I've tried new foods that incorporated all the other food groups that I don't usually eat. Next week I'm going to attempt the tortilla soup again, and hopefully it won't end up all over my kitchen this time! 

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see this project has allowed you to expand your horizons! My husband used to be vegan and he shared the same struggles with trying to find protein without eating meat. The caprese sandwich sounds yummy! I can't wait to read about more of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, and yes it's pretty difficult especially having the same food preferences as an eight year old! Thanks for your interest in my project!

    ReplyDelete